National Trust Dyrham Park

Day Visit to Dyrham Park which is part of the National trust, situated on the A46 north of Bath ,Dyrham house is set in vast undulating grounds and is famous for its Herds of deer.

Arriving at the car park you have two options walk down to the house through the grounds and hopefully see the deer or a shuttle bus service ever 10 mins to and from the house.

Being January its was bitterly cold but we didn’t let this put us off ,approaching the house look for the green head watching you.

The current house was built for William Blathwayt in stages during the 17th and early 18th centuries on the site of a previous manor house, with the final facade being designed by William Talman. It contains art works and furniture from around the world, particularly Holland, and includes a collection of Dutch Masters. The house is linked to the 13th-century church of St Peter, where many of the Blathwayt family are buried. The house is surrounded by 274 acres (111 ha) of formal gardens, and parkland which supports a herd of fallow deer. The grounds, which were originally laid out by George London and later developed by Charles Harcourt Masters, include water features and statuary.

In 1683, Blathwayt obtained by purchase the office of Secretary at War. This was originally merely the role of secretary to the Commander-in-Chief of the British Army but under Blathwayt the remit of the Secretary was greatly expanded to encompass all areas of Army administration. He effectively established the War Office as a department of the government, although he had very little input into the actual conduct of wars. Issues of strategic policy during wartime were managed by the Northern and Southern Departments (the predecessors of today’s Foreign Office and Home Office respectively). He was a witness for the prosecution at the Trial of the Seven Bishops in 1688.

“WILLIAM BLATHWAYT” portrait by Michael Dahl (1656-1743) oil on canvas, in the Great Hall at Dyrham Park.

He became a Whig Member of Parliament for Bath in 1693 (a post which he retained until 1710).

The house is heavily Dutch inspired with a great collection of Delftware Pottery.

this bed was purchased for a Royal Visit that never happened

With the tour of the house over, it was a small tour not sure if more of the house is open in the summer, we headed to the cafe for a coffee and some food.

The last port of call before leaving was the childrens play area and yes this is a nice climb up the side of a hill, with various thing for the kids to do and it also has a compost toilet!!!!!

We had a great couple of hours we saw the Deer being feed, the only negative comment i have is that the tour of the house did not show enough and was a very small part, not sure is this is due to the time off year.